Natural popcorn with heart healthy olive oil.
No microwave. No bag of chemicals. And no, not “fat free”. Just crispy, salty, deliciously aromatic and satisfying popcorn. Fun for movie night. A great snack to share with friends when you’re enjoying a little wine. Be brave. Pop some corn...“sizzle-sizzle, sizzle-sizzle, sizzle-sizzle, POP!”
makes 8 cups
makes 8 cups
sea salt and olive oil for finishing
1. Get out your trusty 2 or 3 quart saucepan, one that has a lid that fits. Pour in a tablespoon or so of peanut oil - just enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add popcorn kernels to cover bottom of pan in a single layer, cover and set over medium high heat on the stovetop.
2. Listen for the popping to start and when it gets going rapidly, lift the pan a bit off the burner and shake it to get the unpopped kernels heading toward the bottom. Return to heat and when the popping slows and/or the popcorn starts pressing off the lid, pour popped corn into a large ceramic or wood bowl (looks, feels and tastes better than metal). Toss with sea salt and drizzle with a flavorful extra virgin olive oil.
Kitchen Coach Tips
- Make sure your popcorn is fresh for best ‘pop’ and flavor. Check the bin area of your grocery or look for a packaged brand like Arrowhead Mills. Store your popcorn kernels in an air tight container.
- Popcorn is high in fiber and makes a great no-sugar snack.
- Drinks with a tart or bitter edge are delicious with this popcorn. Spike your favorite spicy ginger ale with some pomegranite juice and a hefty squeeze of lime.