My most awesome tomato recipes stem from a few classes I assisted with Michele Anna Jordan years and years ago. She is an amazing teacher and writer -- and, I just discovered, the creator of The World's Biggest BLT. (Told ya she was amazing!)
Crusty Bread and Tomato Salad
bread, something delicious with a crunchy crust (I’m thinking a levain!)
fresh basil, parsley, chives, oregano (any or all)
olives, pitted kalamatas have a nice tang
red wine or sherry vinegar
juice from a fresh lemon
1 shallot, finely diced
freshly ground black pepper
1. Make the dressing. Finely dice the shallot and let macerate at least 20 minutes in the vinegar and lemon juice, about 1/4 cup total vinegar/lemon juice. After at least 20 minutes, whisk in olive oil, about twice as much as your vinegar/lemon juice.
2. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Tear or chop bread into 1 inch-ish pieces, put on cookie sheet pan and crisp in oven for 10 minutes.
3. Wash, dry and halve or chop tomatoes. Chop herbs, olives and add to the tomatoes. Add bread pieces, drizzle on desired amount of dressing, and toss to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add goat cheese and serve.
Amy’s Kitchen Coach Tips
- Tomatoes are no good after being in the refrigerator, so don't put them in there! Keep them at room temperature and make this salad just before you are going to serve it.
- I prefer to see lumps of goat cheese in this salad, rather than having it turn creamy and mix in w/the dressing -- which is what happens if you toss it in w/too much vigor. Your choice. Delicious either way, but different.
- Make this a “BLT” salad by crumbling on some cooked bacon. Yummy!
- Serve on top of fresh greens for even more veggie. (No need to dress the greens.)